California -- Need Indicators
- Health Snapshots [UCLA] (all California counties)
Key health related indicators such as rates of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, health insurance coverage, food insecurity and more. Data are available by county and also by Service Planning Areas (SPAs) for LA County. LA County data can also be compared to other counties as well as the state.
- Orange County Community Indicators
Print: CATALOG RECORD
Online: Orange County Community Indicators
County profile. Economic and Business Climate: tourism, spending, world trade, consumer confidence index, per capita income, housing demand and affordability, average commute times, jobs by industry, high-technology cluster diversity. Technology & Innovation: e-commerce, patent grants and venture capital, computers in schools, technology-related degrees. Education: health status, child care quality and affordability, prenatal care, causes of death for children under five, immunization rates, physical fitness of children, health-insurance coverage, illicit drug use, and mental health. Public Safety: child abuse, crime rate, gang-related crimes, hate crimes. Environment : coastal water quality, recreational resources, air quality, water use and supply, and more.
- County Profiles of Hunger, Nutrition, and Health in California
Geographic levels: County (all 58 counties in California)
2-page statistical reports for each county on food insecurity, food and nutrition programs (food stamps, school meal programs, WIC-or Women, Infants and Children food assistance programs) as well as some health indicators (low birth weight babies, overweight, obese adults and diabetic adults) across 58 counties in California. Numbers of those eligible for food and nutrition programs are given, as well as numbers and percentages of people eligible however not participating in the programs. A ranking of counties is given with these indicators, showing how each county compares to each other as well as to the state.
California -- Adoption and Foster Care
- California Department of Social Services: Foster Care
- Conditions of Children in Orange County
Note: See section titles 'Safe Homes and Communities' for data on Foster Care.
- Adoption and Foster Care Statistics [DHHS]
Note: For California data, scroll down to State-by-State Adoption and Foster Care Statistics
- Adoptions of Children with Public Child Welfare Agency Involvement By State FY 1995-FY 2006 - revised March 2008.
- Children in Public Foster Care Waiting to be Adopted: FY 1999 thru FY 2006 - revised March 2008
- Helping Those Who Need It Most: Meeting the Mental Health Care Needs of Youth in the Foster Care and Juvenile Justice Systems (2005) [CRB]
- Foster Care Fundamentals: An Overview of California's Foster Care System (2001)
California -- Aging
- Geographic Distribution and Characteristics of Older Workers in California: 2004 (2009)
- Federal Poverty Guideline Underestimates Costs of Living for Older Persons in California (2008)
- L.A. Seniors Count: Survey of the Older Adult Population (2008)
- Profile of Older Workers in California (2004)
- Orange County: Orange County Office on Aging
- Orange County: 2005-2009 Area Plan [California Department of Aging]
- Orange County: Condition of Older Adults: 2003 Report [Orange County]
- California's Comprehensive Strategy to Support Family Caregivers: informational hearing... (2005)
- Nursing home statistics: Snapshot: The Changing Face of California's Nursing Home Industry (2007)
Data on violations of federal regulations, quality of care, length of stay, who uses nursing homes, nursing staff wages, staff turnover, financial status (profitability), and more.
- Congress of California Seniors [CCS]
California -- Child Abuse
- Child Abuse ReferralReports
Note: State and county data for all California counties.
- California & Orange County statistics: RAND California: Child Abuse Statistics [CSUF]
- California statistics: Child Welfare Dynamic Report System: Referrals [CA Dept. of Social Services]
- Orange County: Child Abuse Registry Statistics: Monthly and Quarterly Reports, 2007-present
- Orange County: Status of Children Ages 0-5 (see 'Child Safety: Abused or Neglected Children' section)
- Orange County: Annual Report on the Condition of Children in Orange County
2008--14th Annual Report (See 'Safe Homes & Communities' section)
Print REF DESK HQ792.U52 A56 CATALOG RECORD
- Los Angeles County: The State of Child Abuse in Los Angeles County (2008) | Archived reports
- California: Megan's Law [in California] [office of the CA Attorney General]
- Child abuse laws in all 50 states: National Survey of State Laws (2003)
REFERENCE KF386 .N38 2003, pp. 369-390
Note: Later ed. may be available in Gale Vritual Reference Library (online)
- Child abuse laws in all 50 states: Legal Atlas of the United States (1997) [see pp. 89-95] CATALOG RECORD
- America's Cradle to Prison Pipeline [California data] (2007)
California -- Child Care
- California Child Care Portfolio [biennual]
Note: California and county (all 58 counites) statistics on child care costs, supply, and demand.
- Orange County (statistics) [Child Care Portfolio 2009)
- Los Angeles County (statistics) [Child Care Portfolio 2009)
- Child Care Funding Sources for California School Districts (2008) [CRB]
- Preschool and Childcare Enrollment in California (2004) [CRB]
California -- Children
- Conditions of Children in Orange County
Online: Conditions of Children in Orange County
Print: CATALOG RECORD
Of special note are sections: Demographics, Special Section, Good Health, Economic Well-Being, Educational Achivement, and Safe Homes and Communities (child abuse reports, foster care).
- Child Poverty in California (2009) [PPIC]
- Status of Children Ages 0-5 (2009) [OCHNA]
Population characteristics, birth/death data, health care resources, health care access, prenatal/maternal behaviors/ child safety (child abuse), school readiness, and more. Discussion and statistics).
- LA County: Health Assessment
Data on child care, health services, uninsured, disabilities, and more.
- Children with Special Health Care Needs [L.A. Dept. of Public Health]
- California's Young Children: Demographic, Social, and Economic Conditions (2002)
Discusses policy challenges, especially poverty rates, health insurance coverage, and immigrant families.
- California's Children: How Are They Faring? (2003)
- The Well-Being of California's Children (2003) [PPIC]
California -- Costs of Raising a Family
California -- Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- Statistics: RAND California [CSUF]
- California: Indicators of Alcohol and Other Drug Risk and Consequences for California Counties 2007
- California counties: Community Indicators of Alcohol & Drug Abuse Risk: County Reports -- scroll down and click on O.C. on the map
- CA Dept. of Alcohol and Drug Programs: Community Indicators of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Risk County Prevention Profiles
- CA Dept. of Alcohol and Drug Programs: Treatment
- County Health Status Profiles
- California: Arrests Statistics
- All states: State Reports on Alcohol, Tobacco, and Illegal Drug Use [SAMHSA]
California -- Education Needs
- Education Needs Index
Data for each of the 50 states. This website provides an Education Needs Index (ENI) for all 3,140 counties in the United States. The index is a measurement of current socio-economic forces that influence education conditions for each county. Indicators that make up the index are based on the following categories: education (such as percent of residents with a high school degree, college degree), economics (such as unemployment rate, per capita income), market factors (such as projected population growth), and population factors (such as percent of population over 44). In addition, the site also allows for comparisons across states regarding poverty, college attainment, the unemployment rate and more.
California -- Health Insurance Coverage
- California's Uninsured (2009)
- California's Health Coverage Facts and Figures (2009)
- Individual Mandate: A Background Report (2009)
- What Does It Take for a Family to Afford to Pay for Health Care? | APPENDIX (2007) [UCLA]
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2010: Health & Nutrition: Health Insurance -- see Table 150 for California data.
- Emergency Department Care in California: Who Uses It and Why? (2008)
- Immigrants and Health (2008)
- Ninety Years of Health Insurance Reform Efforts in California (2007)
- Declining Job-Based Health Coverage in the United States and California: A Crisis for Working Families (2006)
California -- Health Needs
- Health Snapshots
- County Health Status Profiles |Print
- County Data Sheets
- California Dept. of Public Health: Data and Statistics
- Health Data Summaries for California Counties | Print
- Orange County Health Needs Assessment: Survey Reports - latest reports on poverty, children, mental health, and adult access to health care.
California -- Nutrition
- County Profiles of Hunger, Nutrition, and Health in California (all 58 counties)
food insecurity, food and nutrition programs (food stamps, school meal programs, WIC-or Women, Infants and Children food assistance programs) as well as some health indicators (low birth weight babies, overweight, obese adults and diabetic adults) across 58 counties in California. Numbers of those eligible for food and nutrition programs are given, as well as numbers and percentages of people eligible however not participating in the programs. A ranking of counties is given with these indicators, showing how each county compares to each other as well as to the state.
- Federal Food Programs (state and national data)
- California Department of Education: Nutrition
- LA County: Prefenting Childhood Obesity: The Need to Create Health Places (2007)
- Women, Infants, and Children: Program Data (state and federal) [USDA]
California -- Vital Statistics
- Vital Statistics of California [CA Dept. of Public Health]
- Statistics [CA Dept. of Public Health]
- Birth, Death, Fetal Death, Still Birth and Marriage Certificates [CA Dept. of Public Health]