John Hickok, MLIS, MA, is Library faculty at California State University Fullerton. In this position since 1997, he teaches Information Literacy (library & research skills) classes, with particular outreach to international students. John holds dual masters degrees in Library & Information Science (UCLA) and Teaching English to Speaker of Other Languages (Cal State LA). Because of the diverse cultural populations in California, John's research area is cross-cultural comparisons of library services in other countries (particularly Asia) and the U.S. John has presented on this topic at library conferences in both the U.S. and Asia. He has written book chapters, journal articles, and a 2019 book. He was the 2016 Chair of the American Library Association's International Relations Roundtable, and was a 2016 Fulbright Scholar, teaching LIS in Asia (Philippines).
Specializations: TESOL, International students, Communications.
MLIS, University of California, Los Angeles
MA-TESOL, California State University, Los Angeles
Cross-cultural comparison of library services in Asian and U.S. academic libraries
Each year, students from nearly every country in Asia study abroad to the U.S. While there, they encounter American libraries and research expectations that might be different than what they are used to in their own country. This prompts several questions: what similarities and differences are there in library services offered in U.S. libraries compared to libraries in other countries? Is library instruction (information literacy instruction) provided in similar ways ? What innovations have both types of libraries undertaken to better serve their users?
TRAVEL GRANT: A grant was obtained for the 2005-06 academic year for fieldwork to research these questions. Library services in academic libraries-- in both the U.S. and in Asian countries --were observed and chronicled. Trends, strategies, differences, and commonalities were all investigated. For the entire year, John lived in Asia, traveling to 15 countries and documenting the conditions of over 500 libraries. Annual follow-up visits have occurred, expanding expanding to South Asia as well. To date, close to 1,000 libraries have been visited.
BOOK PUBLICATION : a book--chronicling the conditions of libraries in Asia (all types: school, public, academic) and the characteristics of library users in Asian countries--is the result of 15 years of fieldwork of visits and observations. Published by Rowman & Littlefield (2019), this book will assist librarians in working with library visitors and users from East, Southeast, & South Asian countries.
PHOTOS: ASIA LIBRARY VISITS
Photo logs of my 2005-6 travel grant, posted by CSUF's news service:
2006 China Mongolia Japan/Korea Taiwan
2005 Indonesia Philippines/Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Hong Kong/Macau
Photos of annual follow-up trips:
2013 South Asia
2012 Southeast Asia, Hong Kong
2011 Southeast Asia
2010 Southeast Asia
2009 Southeast Asia
Asia trips in CSUF library news:
2016 Southeast Asia
2014 Southeast Asia
- Book: (June 2019). Serving Library Users from Asia. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN: 978-0-8108-8730-5.
- Journal article (October 2018). “International Library Partnerships: From Shoestring Startups to Institutional Sponsorships.” (Co-author). Portal: Libraries and the Academy vol. 18, no. 4, 2018.
- Journal article: (February 2016). "Southeast Asia Library Conference: CONSAL." International Information & Library Review vol. 48, no. 1, 2016, p. 72-74.
- Journal article: (January 2016). "Future-oriented Best Practices of Selected North American and Asian Libraries." PLAI Journal vol. 1, no. 1, 2016.
- Proceedings Article: (June 2015). "Serving Individuals from other Asian Countries in Your Library: Recommendations for Southeast Asian Libraries" in Proceedings of the 16th Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians Conference.
- Proceedings Article: (May 2012). "Innovative Practices of Libraries in Southeast Asia: A 7-year Study of Exciting, Best Practices" in Proceedings of the 15th Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians Conference.
- Book chapter: (November 2011). "Knowing Their Background First: Understanding Prior Library Experiences of International Students" in International Students and Academic Libraries: Initiatives for Success. Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Annotated e-bibliographies: (Fall 2011). "Library Instruction for Diverse Populations." ACRL Instruction Section. Primary author of the "International Students" & "Asian-American Students" bibliographies.
- Proceedings article: (June 2009). "Exciting new information literacy outreach efforts to international student " in Proceedings of the 35th national LOEX library instruction conference
- Proceedings article: (April 2009). Three Years of Action! Exciting Developments in Southeast Asian Libraries since CONSAL XIII," in Proceedings of the 14th Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians Conference.
- Book chapter: (June 2008). "Bringing Them into the Community: Innovative Library Instructional Strategies for International and ESL Students" in Practical Pedagogy for Library Instructors: 17 Innovative Strategies to Improve Student Learning. Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Proceedings Article: (April 2006). "A 1-year Qualitative Analysis of Libraries in Southeast Asia: Commonalities, Challenges, and Opportunities" in Proceedings of the 13th Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians Conference.
- Journal article: (Fall 2005). "ESL Web sites: Resources for Library Administrators, Librarians, & ESL Users." Journal of Library Administration. Vol. 43, No. 3/4
- Book chapter: (March 2004). “Upgrading a Web-based Tour & Tutorial” in Digital Resources and Librarians . Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) .
- Journal article: (May 2002). “Web Library Tours: Using Streaming Video and Interactive Quizzes”, Reference Services Review, vol. 30, no. 2, 2002.
- July 2019: "Asian Libraries Serving Users from Other Asian Countries," International Conference on Library and Information Science. Taipei, Taiwan.
- June 2019: (1)"Quezon City Public Library" ALA IRRT Papers Session (co-presenter); (2)"Connecting Local Communities Globally: the CSUF Vietnam & Cambodia Book Delivery Partnership" ALA IRRT Chair's Program; (3) "Library Outreach to International Students" ACRL Academic Library Services to International Students IG program; (4) "Library Best Practices: Fresh Innovations from Asia" ALA Poster Session. American Library Association Annual Conferene, June 2019, Washington, DC, USA.
- August 2018: "Transform, Think Outside the Box, Connect, Collaborate: East/Southeast Asia Libraries with US Libraries." (Poster; co-presenter). IFLA Conference. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- June 2018: “Examples of Equality, Diversity, & Inclusion in Southeast Asian
Libraries.” (Co-presenter). American Library Association Annual Conference, June, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- July 2017: "New Strategies for Increasing Reading and Access to Children's Literature." 4th International Conference on Children and Young Adult Librarianship, Naga City, Philippines
- September 2016 : "Cross-Cultural Reference For Southeast Asian Library Users." Manila International Book Fair. Manila, Philippines.
- June 2016 : "Internationalizing Your Library: Strategies for All Types of Libraries." American Library Association Annual Conference, International Relations Roundtable Preconference, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- December 2015: "eBooks and eReaders: A Passing Fad or the Wave of the Future? Progress of eBooks/eReaders in Southeast Asia." International Conference on Information Science, Shah Alam, Malaysia.
- June 2015: "The Current State of Libraries (Public/School/Academic) in Southeast Asia: Challenges & Best Practices." American Library Association Annual Conference, San Francisco, California, USA.
- June 2015: "Serving Individuals from other Asian Countries in Your Library: Recommendations for Southeast Asian Libraries" Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- November 2014: "Inspirational! Future-Oriented Best Practices by Libraries in Both the Philippines & Other Countries." Philippine Library Association Inc. National Congress, Manila, Philippines.
- October 2014: "International Best Practices of Leadership and Change." Ateneo de Manila Rizal Library International conference. October, Manila, Philippines,
- June 2014: "Usage and Challenges of E-Books & E-Readers in Southeast Asia: A Current Snapshot of the Issue." American Library Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- January 2013: "Latest Trends and Innovations in American Libraries." Library Association of Nepal / U.S. Embassy Seminar, Kathmandu, Nepal,
- May 2012: "Innovative Practices of Libraries in Southeast Asia: A 7-year Study of Exciting Best Practices." Congress of Southeast Asia Libraries, Bali Indonesia.
- June 2011: "Exciting and Innovative Outreach Instruction to International/ESL Students." American Library Association Annual Conference, Poster Session. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- October 2010: "International Best Practices of Library Spaces: An exciting showcase of innovative physical and virtual library services from libraries all over the U.S. and Southeast Asia." Ateneo de Manila Rizal Library International conference. Manila, Philippines POWERPOINT1 POWERPOINT2
- November 2009: "Exciting New Internet Resources and Online Libraries to Assist English Teaching and Learning ." International Conference on English Language Teaching, Melaka, Malaysia.
- April 2009: "Three Years of Action! Exciting Developments in Southeast Asian Libraries since CONSAL XIII." Congress of Southeast Asia Librarians conference, Hanoi, Vietnam
- March 2009: "Effective and Exciting Information Literacy Outreach Efforts for International & ESL Students." half-day preconference, Association of College & Research Libraries conference, Seattle, Washington PPT1 PPT2
- October 2008: "State of Asian School Libraries, Present & Future." Bridging Worlds conference, NGO Learning Summit. Singapore.
- October 2007: "International Best Practices of Service-Friendly Librarians." Ateneo de Manila Rizal Library International conference. Manila, Philippines.
- July 2007: "Networking & Partnering of Libraries in Developing & Developed Countries." International Library Conference. Sarawak, Malaysia.
- December 2006: "Libraries: Important Players in International Education efforts of both China and Southeast Asia." Asia Pacific Conference on Education & Lifelong Learning. Hong Kong, China.
- Mar 2006: "A 1-year Qualitative Analysis of Libraries in Southeast Asia: Commonalities, Challenges, and Opportunities." CONSAL (Congress on Southeast Asian Libraries) Conference. Manila, Philippines
- January 2005: "A Comparison of Library Instruction between Hong Kong and U.S. Academic Libraries." Hong Kong Comparative Education Society Conference. Hong Kong SAR, China.
- July 2004: "Information Literacy Training to Japanese Students in U.S. Universities." California State University/Waseda Exchange Conference. Waseda Univ., Tokyo, Japan.
- January 2003: "Audio & Video on the Internet: Using this resource in EFL & Library Training." Thai TESOL Conference, Bangkok Thailand.
- June 2001: "Adding Streaming Video for Interactive Instruction." International Technology in Language Education Conference, Hong Kong SAR, China
- July 2000: "Teaching ESL Students Library Skills." American Library Association annual conference. Chicago, Illinois, USA
- August 1999: "Partnerships between Libraries & English Language Learning" (Poster Session). International Federation of Library Associations & Institutions (IFLA) conference, Bangkok Thailand.