Fines and Notices
The California State University Board of Trustees authorizes the collection of fees associated with lost, damaged, or overdue library materials. In turn, the amounts of specific fees and fines are set by the University Librarian with the concurrence of the CSUF Academic Senate.
UPS 508.000 governs the return or replacement of library materials by students, faculty, staff, and other users and authorizes the Library to collect unpaid obligations.
It is the responsibility of borrowers to know when their materials are due. As a courtesy, when materials become overdue, the Library will send a reminder or overdue notice. Failure to receive this notice is not grounds for the cancellation of fines or replacement charges. Per university policy, all circulation notices are sent via campus e-mail. It is the borrower's responsibility to keep the Library informed of changes to contact information.
Circulation notices will be generated in the following cycles.
- One day past due: 1st overdue notice.
- 30 days past due: 2nd overdue notice.
- 60 days past due: 3rd overdue notice.
- 90 days past due: bill for replacement.
Schedule of Fines and Fees
When borrowers fail to return checked-out materials on time, the Library may assess overdue fines. Borrowers are responsible for knowing their due dates and for returning items in a timely manner. Outside of a short grace period, fines begin to accrue as soon as the materials become overdue.
For lost or damaged items, fees may be assessed to cover the material and labor costs of repairing or replacing the items.
- 0.25 per day for most circulating items.
- $1.00 per day for daily reserve items.
- $1.00 per hour for hourly reserve items.
- $5.00 per hour for Group Study Room keys.
- $60 standard replacement cost, when the actual price is not available.
- $25 processing fee, representing the labor and material costs to purchase, catalog, and prepare a replacement.
- $25 returned-check fee (only for dishonored checks).
- $15 billing fee, representing the labor and material costs to issue a bill, interact with the patron, and process payment.
Paying Library Charges
Payments by cash, check, or credit card will be accepted in person during regular library hours.
Checks payable to CSUF may also be mailed to:CSUF Pollak Library
800 N. State College Blvd.
PO Box 4150
Fullerton, CA 92834
Checks should include the university ID number associated with the bill.
The Pollak Library cannot currently accept payments online or by phone.
Unreturned materials or unpaid obligations may result in a hold being placed on enrollment, graduation, or the release of transcripts. After 180 days, unpaid obligations are subject to collection proceedings. Funds may be assigned to interception via the Franchise Tax Board or be submitted to a private collections agency.